Sunday, May 14, 2006

Die-hards unite!

Im tired of getting shifty akward glances when I where my Stars Jersey out. And it has recently been said that I am being unnecessarily intense when I watch sporting evens.

As the Mavs took every chance they could get in the 4th quarter to try and give San Antonio the game (Spurs hit 10 of their last 11 shots!!, the only miss coming at the end with the desperation Horry turn-around), one can't help but wonder, "Why exactly am I doing this to myself?"

My stomach hurts, my body tightens up, I take big deep breaths during time outs. I pace around. I curse. I yell at the TV. This isn't my life right? It's just a game, etc, etc...

But friends, being a true "die-hard" in every sense of the word is a small fraternity.

I'm a very casual baseball fan. That's all well and good.

But man when it comes to the Mavs and the Stars I just can't help it. Men (straight men) are by nature very competitive, and since we can't be out there helping them out, we send our emotional support via angry shouting. Call it sending out good energy into the karma soaked sports world. It's not necessarily the "I believe in you" karma, it's the "I care A LOT about this" karma. The "I love you and I will take this loss hard if you don't fix this" kind of karma.

Besides, everybody likes to feel loved.

Sports is one of those cool, weird things that across borders of nations, people can come to an understanding. You'll see it later this summer in the World Cup. People in other countries are way more serious than I am about those games. American die-hards look just downright apathetic compared to those face-painting maniacs.

Bottom line is, I will continue to live and die with every goal, 3-pointer, penalty call, or bs foul call that comes our way. Desensitized as eveyone in this country is to everything, someones got to feel passionate about something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»