Thursday, September 14, 2006

We lost a friend this morning

Goodbye Mr. Toby.....











The best thing I can say about Toby is that he was a wonderful friend. He did nothing but give to us. Hamsters may not be able to convey the loyalty of a dog, but I know that he knew us, and that he understood the relationship to some extent.

He was a dare-devil of sorts. As much of a dare devil as a hamster could be. He was quite fond of "launching himself" off of whatever he could, into depths unknown. He was also quite the escape artist, and once got stuck in a couch for about 30 min. I still don't know how he did it.

My favorite Toby memory would have to be the infamous stapler incident. I asked Cheryl, "Where is that little stapler?" and she said "Oh it's next to Toby's cage." At which point we looked over in time to see Toby with his "rear end" abnormally and comically high in the air, and then he proceeded to urinate through the bars, and all over said stapler.

The comedic timing was genius.

He was a sucker for the rustling of a food bag, an apple, and especially peanuts and carrots, for which he would fight to the death. He would often try to cause us bodily harm in his quest for carrots. He once tried to dive head first into a glass of wine. lol.

He would stay up late with me while I did my homework and watch me, intently hoping it was time to play again. And when you jingled your keys, he would stand on his hind legs and ball his little fists and show you his teeth. It was cute and funny to the point of absurdity, of course he thought he was a great big grizzly bear.

He was as crabby and grumpy as he was funny. Which made him more funny.

He was my friend Toby. Some people say hamsters are stupid. That's fine. But I can't think of anything better that takes zero time to take care of, and puts a smile on your face every single day of the year, without exception.

He cost about 7$. Best 7$ we ever spent.

Toby died peacefully in his sleep, of old age.

Goodbye Toby












R.I.P Toby. 2004-2006






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Brad. He will definitely be missed.